Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sermon from January 25


Faith and Action

James 2: 14 - 26


1. A true faith will conform our hearts to be more like Christ’s, transform our minds to God’s thoughts, and form our actions into obedience to God.
2. Faith is not just a mental assent. It is more than knowledge. If your faith doesn’t cause you to cry out to God for salvation, you cannot be saved. (vs. 19)
3. Actions cannot save anyone, but actions prove your faith is real. It is the faith that saves you and that justifies you. Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 3:28
4. Romans 4:3 and Genesis 15:6 say Abraham was credited as righteous because of his belief. James’ point is that Abraham’s actions proved that he had faith.
5. Do your actions prove that you have faith?

2 comments:

jeleasure said...

Hey Craig,
I often take time to scroll through the profiles and found your blog.

First, I must confess, I am a Steeler fan. Noticed you are a Cowboys fan. Bless you.

I recently wrote a piece for my blog on works and salvation. You and I are in agreement. I do however take it a step further when I present the necessity for works. I relate it to holiness and love for one another (Lev. 19:18, John 13:34).
Apply Ephesians 2:10 to vss. 8 and 9. We were created to do good works for the sake of holiness; living apart from the standard of the world, but for God's purposes, to be family. However, I good works are commanded. But, they mean nothing until we are in Christ by faith.

Craig Harris said...

Hello James,
I appreciate your comments. Great points! Sometimes we forget that we were created to do good works. -That we were created for God! Thanks for writing about that.
BTW, congratulations to your Steelers on making the Superbowl! They had a tough schedule and had to play several bitterly cold games to get to enjoy Tampa...
Also, I've never seen a blue lobster before. God's creation never ceases to amaze me!